It wasn’t supposed to be, but it just happened… I like my socks with lots of negative ease. I also have this weird notion apparently that the best gauge for socks is about 2 stitches more per inch (given the same yarn, etc) than any other knitter in the world. And, for sock patterns that have large repeats, the difference can be substantial. On my Fawkes socks, for example, given my gauge, I ended up adding an extra 15 stitches around, which luckily was exactly an extra pattern repeat. With most patterns, though, I’m constantly changing yarns or needles, or playing with additional cables or stitches on the sides of the socks to make them fit…

I had picked up some self-striping Tofutsies from my stash a few days ago, and yesterday I finished the toe, and went to search for a pattern. Given the aforementioned issues, it wasn’t an immediate success. I started to go through my current sock patterns, Ravelry favourites, etc, and nothing seemed quite right, so I finally started to play around with various stitches. Then, it just sort of happened. I believe I am now designing my very first sock! Details and pictures will follow, but for now, I’ll say that it’s a pattern with a small repeat, so it’s easy to size up or down for a different yarn, gauge or size, and it’s doing wonders at breaking up the horrid pooling effect I was getting (note to self: self-striping yarn only stripes consistently if you’re working at the recommended gauge). I may have to try this pattern again with some hand-dyed yarn to see if the colours work out just as well there. I’m having so much fun with this, I’m actually excited about knitting again! Woo!